“Driftwood is beautiful” Goober said.
“Say what?” said Marsden annoyed, his eyes flashing green.
“Driftwood old boy, and pies - everyone loves pies.”
“Say what?” said Marsden annoyed, his eyes flashing green.
“Driftwood old boy, and pies - everyone loves pies.”
“I prefer cake” said Needles, eagerly.
“You see you cannot crush a soul when it remembers beautiful things - those things it loves - it’s in the impossible. Christmas lights, hot cocoa, sunlight on the sea, soft grass beneath your feet, jasmine on a warm day … these are my favourite things …” with the latter part Goober broke into a recognisable show-tune.
“You get the point.”
It was obvious Marsden did not. It flew over his shoulder and out into the corridor.
Goober continued, “Dew drops on roses and whiskers on kittens, brown paper packages tied up with ribbons.”
And then it happened.
It was obvious Marsden did not. It flew over his shoulder and out into the corridor.
Goober continued, “Dew drops on roses and whiskers on kittens, brown paper packages tied up with ribbons.”
And then it happened.
Goober had been turning the diamond over in his pocket and it fell out. (Or, considering its mischievous history, it may well have leapt out - impossible to say). Its influence threw its sparks around the room, and one went into the eye of Marsden, and in that instant his appearance changed quite dramatically. A moment later there was no longer a man in front of them, but unmistakably a dragon.
This dragon was eighteen feet high with his head reaching towards them in turn, lurching down menacingly. Now they could understand very plainly who he was. Seeing this creature’s true nature would go a long way for being able to curtail him.
Goober swerved away from the gigantic head that shot heat via its fetid breath. The diamond rolled towards Puck.
“Got a mind of its own” Goober said apologetically.
The dragon elongated its neck to bite at it, but Puck snatched it up from the ground.
“Well I am baffled” he said stepping backwards as he said this.
“You are what?” hissed the Dragon, still looking over the floor for the stone.
“Baffled. Baffled.”
The dragon replied haughtily: “Well, the likes of you may be baffled, but I am never, ever confused.”
“I’m not confused so much as I’m baffled,” said Puck.
And Goober joined in, “yes, you could say that, I’m baffled too”.
“Well then clearly I’ve won, the dragon snarled, for I am never baffled. It is simple: the path is always logical, it is either destruction or order: the order that I create, or the destruction that I can cause, and you must conform. I like to think of it as my world, formed by my ideas - for they are supreme.”
This dragon was eighteen feet high with his head reaching towards them in turn, lurching down menacingly. Now they could understand very plainly who he was. Seeing this creature’s true nature would go a long way for being able to curtail him.
Goober swerved away from the gigantic head that shot heat via its fetid breath. The diamond rolled towards Puck.
“Got a mind of its own” Goober said apologetically.
The dragon elongated its neck to bite at it, but Puck snatched it up from the ground.
“Well I am baffled” he said stepping backwards as he said this.
“You are what?” hissed the Dragon, still looking over the floor for the stone.
“Baffled. Baffled.”
The dragon replied haughtily: “Well, the likes of you may be baffled, but I am never, ever confused.”
“I’m not confused so much as I’m baffled,” said Puck.
And Goober joined in, “yes, you could say that, I’m baffled too”.
“Well then clearly I’ve won, the dragon snarled, for I am never baffled. It is simple: the path is always logical, it is either destruction or order: the order that I create, or the destruction that I can cause, and you must conform. I like to think of it as my world, formed by my ideas - for they are supreme.”
“Are you saying then”, said Puck, relieved that the fire breathing had stopped momentarily, “that you are never baffled?”
“Me? no, no, no there is nothing ever to be baffled about.”
“And yet life itself is a mystery?”
“Not when you dictate how it goes, there is no room for mystery when I already know.” The huge beast was engaged with his own superiority, and somewhat subdued by it.
“Me? no, no, no there is nothing ever to be baffled about.”
“And yet life itself is a mystery?”
“Not when you dictate how it goes, there is no room for mystery when I already know.” The huge beast was engaged with his own superiority, and somewhat subdued by it.
-Gabriel Brunsdon, Finding Self - Second Guesses- Azlander Series
No comments:
Post a Comment